Regional Communication Service
What are complex communication needs?
People with complex communication needs either cannot speak or have speech that is difficult to understand. They and their communication partners may benefit from using different forms of communication, such as:
- Alphabet, word or picture boards
- Facial expressions
- Communication devices
How can the Regional Communication Service help you?
We do this by:
- Working with individuals with complex communication needs and their communication partners
- Building capacity of community agencies, families and services to support people with complex communication needs.
Communication For Participation
This service aims to make it easier for people with limited or no verbal communication to participate in their community.
We provide :
- Speech Pathology consultation
For further information about initiatives and support for people with complex communication needs you can visit the Communication Access Network website via the link below. Complex communication needs may be due to a disability such as cerebral palsy, autism, stroke or motor neurone disease. It is estimated that 1 in 500 people in Victoria have complex communication needs.
This program is available to:
- Adults with complex communication needs
- People who support adults with complex communication needs
- Family and friends
- Recreation and leisure groups
- Community Services
Services are provided to the West Loddon Mallee region including:
- Mildura LGA
- Swan Hill LGA
- Buloke Shire
- Gannawarra Shire
There is no cost to access this service. There may be costs associated with purchasing equipment, but the speech pathologist will discuss these with you.
Make an Appointment
Phone SCHS on 5022 5444 and ask for our friendly Doorway to Health team, who will make you an appointment.