Physiotherapy is a healthcare profession that assesses, diagnoses, treats, and works to prevent disease and disability through physical means. Physiotherapists are experts in movement and function, who work in partnership with you. They will assist you to overcome movement disorders, which may have been present from birth, acquired through accident or injury, or are the result of aging or life-changing events.
How can a Physiotherapist help you?
A physiotherapist can help you by listening to your needs and working with you to plan the most appropriate treatment for you, including setting goals and developing a treatment plan. You will be actively involved in your physiotherapy care.
Physiotherapy services may include:
- Exercise programs to improve mobility and strengthen muscles.
- Joint manipulation and mobilization to reduce pain and stiffness.
- Muscle re-education to improve control.
- Airway clearance techniques and breathing exercises.
- Soft tissue mobilization (massage).
- Assistance with use of aids, splints, crutches, walking sticks and wheelchairs.
- Group exercise programs such as Falls and Balance.