SCHS Parent Support Service works towards a community where:
- Pregnant women are well, supported and prepared for parenthood.
- Children are healthy, safe, respected and develop to their full potential.
- Parents are knowledgeable, skilled, confident and supported.
- Parents and children enjoy positive interactions and relationships.
What we want to achieve
- Pregnant women are provided with healthcare and support during their pregnancy. Click here for information on our Nourishing Newborns program.
- Children have improved wellbeing and sense of belonging.
- Parents are confident in caring for their children.
- Parents are responsive, flexible and perceptive.
- Families have enhanced parenting skills.
- Communities are provided with useful evidence based information on the early years.
- Families gain practical advice and helpful tips in pregnancy and parenting.
Assisting parents to meet the challenges of parenthood
Parents may be concerned about; breastfeeding or bottle feeding, the behaviour of their child or perhaps their sleep routines. Parents may also be concerned with how they feel within themselves, their relationship with their child or question how to best care for their child.
The Parent Support Service provides support, education and advice about parenting with a sensitive individual approach to care. We work in partnership with you, to assist in developing new skills and increasing your confidence and enjoyment in pregnancy and parenthood.
Circle of Security
The Parent Support Service presents Circle of Security® Parenting™ program which is based on decades of research about how secure parent-child relationships can be supported and strengthened. Our trained facilitators work with parents and care-givers helping them to:
- Understand their child’s emotional world by learning to read emotional needs
- Support their child’s ability to successfully manage emotions
- Enhance the development of their child’s self esteem
- Honour the innate wisdom and desire for their child to be secure
Day Stay Unit
SCHS Parent Support Service offers a day stay unit for parents of babies and toddlers. During the time spent in the unit, realistic short term goals are developed and new skills practiced in areas related to unsettled babies, lactation and breastfeeding support, sleep and settling etc.
Up to two families will attend on the same day. We have a shared family lounge and kitchen area with two separate children’s sleep spaces. The unit also has a large interactive play area and court yard for the whole family to enjoy.